Wednesday, September 16, 2009

First Impressions of Manila, Philippines











This is an area of great contrasts. Here are my first impressions from our first two weeks here.
Many highrise apartment buildings and huge houses in gated communities next to shanties of abandoned buildings with pieces of metal for roofing and famlies living under trees and bridges
Mega-mall shopping next to street vendors and tiny shops
Beggars at all the stop lights
American stores and restaurants - McDonalds, KFC, Wendys, Outback, Chilis, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Subway
Crowded streets of cars, vans, buses, jeepneys, trikes, pedicabs, scooters, bikes, people and an occasional ox cart
Torrential rain or beautiful bright skies or smog and hazy skies
Security guards with guns and rifles at all the stores and banks and on the streets
Trees, flowers and plants in abundance
No trash and very little graffitti
Smiling faces everywhere!!




5 comments:

Nene said...

Interesting contrast.

Unknown said...

Sounds about how I expected it except for the restaurants. Outback?? How funny. I also imagine very high humidity. That is wonderful that the people are so friendly. I can't wait to hear more about some of your adventures - things that you are doing there.

jones_crew said...

How yall do'in?

love Katalina

jones_crew said...

I love you guys. Are there a lot of Missionaries in the MRC? Grandpa are you getting a lot of missionary patiences? Do you get to go swimming? When are you going to call me?

I played really well in soccer this week. It was my best game yet! We are going to have dinner now so I will write later. Will you please write me a letter and send pictures of the house and some of the elders in the MRC.

Love you and miss you,

Katalina

The Grandkids said...

Katalina - I will send some pictures to you and should have gotten some postcards by now.

No, we don't go swimming - missionaries have a few rules to follow (I might put my feet in the water when we go down to Manila Bay this week).

We have had 13 patients during our first two weeks. We are waiting on two more this week.

Glad you are doing well in school and with soccer. Your dad sent me some pictures!